Which IDE is recommended?

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun May 1 09:35:04 EDT 2005

Ville Vainio <ville at spammers.com> writes:

>     John> Dave Cook <davecook at nowhere.net> writes:
>
>     John> What are those compelling features of Pydev, for an emacs
>     John> user?
>
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/features.html
>
> Code completion and debugger are the most obvious ones. Eclipse itself
> is also quite a "feature".

What good features does the debugger have?  What other good features
does Eclipse have right now (that are useful for Python programming,
but not necessarily specific to that)?

Obviously Eclipse looks good in the future, but I wonder what it's
like right now.

I'm more interested in features than bugs, since I'm sure the
following experience isn't typical, but: I did try it not long ago,
and the commercial distribution I tried (I forget the name, but it had
added Python support) hung after a few minutes of use, and completion
didn't work.  It was also terribly slow (compared to emacs on the same
box), which worries me more than the bugs.

John