Which IDE is recommended?

Dave Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Mon May 2 07:48:00 EDT 2005

On 2005-04-29, John J. Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:

> Dave Cook <davecook at nowhere.net> writes:
>> Pydev has some compelling features, but I wish I didn't have to run eclipse

>> On 2005-04-27, monkey <m at m.com> wrote:
> What are those compelling features of Pydev, for an emacs user?

For me, the code completion feature.  Also, modern anti-aliased font
rendering under Linux doesn't hurt.

Emacs python-mode is still ahead on code formatting.  For example, the way
you can line up code by hitting tab once anywhere on the line.  And I miss
emacs things like M-^ (delete-indentation; joins the line to the previous
line and removes whitespace).

Eclipse has an emacs keybinding mode, but it's not very comprehensive.

I'm not ready to switch, but I played around enough to know I could get
fairly comfortable if I wanted to.

I exaggerated memory usage a bit.  Eclipse only uses about twice as much RAM
as XEmacs on my Linux box.  Still, I probably wouldn't find it as usable if
this wasn't an AMD64 3200 with 1G RAM.

Dave Cook