hard memory limits

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Fri May 6 21:08:31 EDT 2005

James Stroud wrote:

> Sorry Maurice, apparently in bash its "ulimit" (no n). I don't use bash, so I
> don't know all of the differences offhand. Try that.
>
> James

Thanks guys,

It doesn't seems to help. I'm thinking that it might be a SOAPpy
problem. The allocation fails when I grab a list of more than 150k
elements through SOAP but allocating a 1 million element list is fine in
python.

Now I have a performance problem...

Say I have 3 lists (20K elements, 1G elements, and 0 elements), call
them 'a', 'b', and 'c'. I want to filter all that is in 'b' but not in
'a' into 'c'...

 >>> a = range(1, 100000, 5)
 >>> b = range(0, 1000000)
 >>> for i in b:
...     if i not in a: c.append(i)

This takes forever to complete. Is there anyway to optimize this?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Maurice