printing arrays in shell, and .py association with idle

Paris Miles-Brenden pmilesbr at purdue.edu
Tue May 17 03:55:31 EDT 2005

I have been using python for the last 3 years and feel it to be an excellent programming language.  However, I have run into a few snags or annoyances.  I am currently creating a computational physics simulation which requires large arrays and am using numeric, although this is not a list for numeric, I think that my question falls under python in general.

1.  My first problem is with printing these large arrays for debugging purposes.  Is there any way to prevent the python shell from word wrapping single array print statements?  I'm simply using:

print hamiltonian

where hamiltonian is an array of complex numbers.  Changing window size (default or otherwise) does not change this, and I have found the option no-where.

2.  Is there a foolproof way to associate .py files to open with IDLE, and when ending my program, not causing IDLE to quit?  I have tried various methods to do this but none have worked so far.

Thank you and please accept my apology if this is the wrong location for these questions.