Mandrake 10.1 and Python 2.3.4

John Ridley ojokimu at yahoo.co.uk
Sun May 15 19:36:31 EDT 2005

"Joal Heagney" wrote:

> Hi everyone. I've been getting this error message in python, and it's

> really driving me up the wall.
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] joal]$ python
> 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
> Python 2.3.4 (#1, Apr 18 2005, 19:03:06)
> [GCC 3.4.1] on linux2
> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more
information.
>  >>>

> Here's the relevant line when i run python in verbose mode:
>

> 'import site' failed; traceback:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site.py", line 169, in ?
>      sys.lib,
> AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lib'
>
> Is this a Mandrake or a Python mistake?
> And does anyone know how to fix it?
>
> I think this is the reason why I'm getting errors when it comes to
> importing other python packages.

I have both python 2.3.4 and 2.4.1 installed on Mandrake 10.1 - and
only 2.4.1 gives the error.

So - have you tried to install python 2.4 recently?

Also, are you using a pythonrc.py startup file which is trying to
import the sys module? Have a look to see if a PYTHONSTARTUP
environment variable has been set to the path of such a file.

HTH

John Ridley