Newbie : checking semantics

rbt rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu
Mon May 16 14:16:08 EDT 2005

Stefan Nobis wrote:
> rbt <rbt at athop1.ath.vt.edu> writes:
>

>>True beginners (no programming experience whatsoever) don't have
>>to deal with unlearning stuff such as the bracket plague.
>

> That's true. But they also not very used to give nothing (->
> whitespace) a meaning. I teached quite some beginners and most of
> them had problems to get the indentation right.
>
> At least in the very beginning IMHO it would be useful to
> explicitly end a block with some kind of an end statement.

You have a very good point. Understanding the flow of a program and the
indentation or brackets that go with logical blocks of code would be
difficult for those who have never had to think like a programmer before
to grasp.

Have you read the book titled, "How to think like a Computer Scientist"?
It's very good for true beginners and it's free. It uses Python too.
It's good at teaching scope and how to recognize blocks of code.