Python Documentation (should be better?)

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu May 12 09:57:08 EDT 2005

    Ivan> I get that.  My question, cleverly concealed in a rant, was, "Why
    Ivan> does clicking on the Documentation link at python.org NOT take me
    Ivan> to docs.python.org?"

I almost changed that link, but then reconsidered.  Compare

    http://docs.python.org/

with

    http://www.python.org/docs/

The former is just the main documentation that's part of the Python
distribution.  The latter contains links to lots of supplementary material,
much of which is not part of python.org.

The original functional goal of the http://docs.python.org/ URL was to
provide a cleaner isolation of "just the facts, Ma'am" so that Google could
do a better job presenting documentation search results.  Previously, it was
impossible to separate the mailing list archives from the documentation
proper in Google searches.

Skip