Help with choice of suitable Architecture

Rob Cowie cowie.rob at gmail.com
Sat May 28 13:00:43 EDT 2005

Hi,

This is my first post so go easy!

I have been asked (as part of an MSc project) to create a server based
planner for a research group at my uni. It will have a web interface to
interact with data stored in an XML document. Basic functionality is
required such as viewing, searching, editing, creating and deleting
entries for things such as paper submission deadlines, events, funding
application deadlines. I would also like to use AJAX principles in the
web interface.
Additionaly, it must email a BibTex file once a month to a
predetermined address.

I'm totally new to web programming. I have been looking into the best
way to proceed. CGI is of course an option but it seems slow, clunky
and outdated. Twisted provides a rich architecture but might be
overkill. Nevow seems to be very popular.
I suspect I could achieve what I want using PHP but I would really like
to get to grip with Python.

I'm not asking for a comparison of each architecture per se.... that
seems to be well covered in this group. I would like to know how you
all would set about creating this realtively simple application.

Cheers,
Rob Cowie
Coventry University, Britain