Help with choice of suitable Architecture

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat May 28 16:19:30 EDT 2005

"Rob Cowie" <cowie.rob at gmail.com> writes:

> Paul..... I agree that client-side scripting increases the level of
> compexity, but did it really go out of fashion with pop-ups? It seems
> to be just getting started. Google use it to great effect.... maps,
> suggest etc. I wasn't thinking of using it to deal with any 'business
> logic', just to add some dynamism to the interface - use
> XMLhttprequests, a bit of DOM scripting etc.

It's clearly not gone. Just remember, that people do turn it off for
security reasons. Doing so also does a good job of killing popups and
the like. I normally run with JavaScript off, and the local city
government has installed IE with it disabled on all their desktops.

So make sure the functionality of the site doesn't require javascript
to be enabled. This may require duplicating functionality, but you can
save your design by hiding the non-javascript version of the
functionality in a <noscript> element.

         <mike