Encryption with Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue May 10 21:33:18 EDT 2005

Anthra Norell wrote:
> From: "Paul Rubin" <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid>
>>Since good encryption schemes that don't have significant performance
>>penalties are widely available, why mess with a crap scheme EVER?  Why
>>use a solution that "might or might not be adequate" when you can use
>>one that's definitely ok?
>
> Why indeed?---Why run a marathon?

To demonstrate your physical supremacy over your inferiors.

> Why have kids?

Because you forgot to wear protection.

> Why shave?

Your wife insists?  Mine does...

 > Why play chess?

To demonstrate your intellectual supremacy over your inferiors.

> Why sprinkle the lawn?

Too much beer and there's a line-up to use the john?

> Or as my friend Sergio's favorite line went: Why you
> jerks cook your own muck when there are so many good restaurants in town?

To demonstrate your culinary supremacy over your inferiors?

> His was definitely the best when it went out of business.

(Hmm... so is my business doing merely "well" if it's losing money?)

Back to Paul's question then: why use an unreliable and
probably-useless-for-all-but-spawning-lengthy-but-educational-threads
encryption method when there are relatively reliable and, uh, less
discussed and non-edifying, uh... well, you get the picture. ;-)

-Peter