Python Documentation (should be better?)

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Wed May 11 20:39:59 EDT 2005

Hi All--

Steven Bethard wrote:

> Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> > I should be able to type "string methods" into the text box,
> > push submit, and IT SHOULD HAND ME THE PAGE.  Not "Results 1 - 20 of
> > about 9,800 from www.python.org for string methods. (0.78 seconds)"
>
> Regardless, assuming the right link is the first one, do I understand
> your complaint correctly as saying that you want Python to automatically
> pick the first link for you?  Do others agree with this complaint?  I
> imagine it wouldn't be that hard to add the equivalent of Google's "I'm
> Feeling Lucky" button beside the submit button if that would really help.

No.  If I type "string methods" into the search box (OK, I will type the
quotes), how many pages can there be?  If there are two or more, give me
the choice; if there is one, take me to it.  Why are there 9,801 pages
containing string, or method, or both, or neither?  What's wrong with
this picture?

> http://docs.python.org/lib/string-methods.html
>
> In fact, I tried just "string" and couldn't find anything but the
> current docs in the first 10 pages (and was too lazy to check anything
> else).
>
> Could you tell me how to reproduce your results (of getting Python 2.1.3)?

http://www.python.org/doc/

Type string methods into the box; push submit.  Result:

"Results 1 - 20 of about 9,800 from www.python.org for string methods.
(0.14 seconds)"

I did not go to docs.python.org, I went to www.python.org and clicked on
the doc link.  There is a difference, clearly, but I maintain there
should not be.  If I click on "Documentation" on the main page, am I
asking for "All possible old and new and broken and repaired and
intermediate documentation pages"?  No, I kind of thought I was asking
for the latest documentation.

I tried string methods at docs.python.org, and got "Results 1 - 20 of
about 455 from docs.python.org for string methods. (0.11 seconds)";
"string methods" retrieved "Results 1 - 10 of about 30 from
docs.python.org for "string methods". (0.13 seconds)".  Why the
difference?

Metta,
<i-have-not-yet-begun-to-rant>-ly y'rs,
Ivan "Sorry I am out of room for smiley faces"
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.pauahtun.org/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours