Python Documentation (should be better?)

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:12:14 EDT 2005

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:
> I should be able to type "string methods" into the text box,
> push submit, and IT SHOULD HAND ME THE PAGE.  Not "Results 1 - 20 of
> about 9,800 from www.python.org for string methods. (0.78 seconds)"

Hmm...  I typed in "string methods" at http://docs.python.org/ and got:

"""Results 1 - 10 of about 11 from docs.python.org for "string methods".
(0.06 seconds)"""

Without quoting, I got:

"""Results 1 - 10 of about 216 from docs.python.org for string methods.
(0.05 seconds)"""

In both cases, the right link was the first one.  So I can't produce
your results.

Regardless, assuming the right link is the first one, do I understand
your complaint correctly as saying that you want Python to automatically
pick the first link for you?  Do others agree with this complaint?  I
imagine it wouldn't be that hard to add the equivalent of Google's "I'm
Feeling Lucky" button beside the submit button if that would really help.

> And the first hit is from Python 2.1.3, NOT the current doc.

Weird.  I typed in "string methods" at http://docs.python.org/ and my
first hit was from the current Python docs.  I get:

http://docs.python.org/lib/string-methods.html

In fact, I tried just "string" and couldn't find anything but the
current docs in the first 10 pages (and was too lazy to check anything
else).

Could you tell me how to reproduce your results (of getting Python 2.1.3)?

STeVe