Faster GUI text control

Jeremy Bowers jerf at jerf.org
Sat May 14 00:20:19 EDT 2005

On Fri, 13 May 2005 15:44:24 -0500, none wrote:

>   I'm trying to decide what is the best replacement for the control.  I
> was originally planning on redoing the GUI with wxpython, but I've seen
> people indicate I would have the same problem.

Honestly, if this is important to you, the best thing to do is try all the
ones relevant to your platform; generally creating a window with a text
widget and loading it with "a whole lotta text", as appropriate to your
app, is fairly easy; it is not true that once you've tried one GUI toolkit
you've tried them all, but each one is easier than the last, and
generally, you can:

* Use the tutorial up to where they place a widget.

* Jump to the reference manual where they describe the text widget and
insert it instead.

* Fill the widget with a bunch of text. ("some string\n"*100000 or
something works well.)

* Start the program and go.

Not counting downloading, an hour each, tops. (The only tricky one that I
am aware of is that GTK insists that text widgets have to be in a Scrolled
Window to get a scrollbar on them.)

The problem is that if you're really looking for performance, it may
differ based on the characteristics of the text and the quality of the
target computer, the platform (which you don't mention; GTK may scream in
Linux and make you scream in Windows...), etc., and there may be no one
person who can give you a firm "This is the best solution for your
situation" answer.