Faster GUI text control

none "none\" at (none)
Fri May 13 16:44:24 EDT 2005

Hi,
   I wrote a program for work that processed and formatted some
collected text data in a Tkinter based GUI display.  I've found that as
my data files get longer (a few thousand lines), there seems to be a
real lag when it comes to clearing or updating the Text control, enough
so that the program just isn't useful.  I poked around some and saw
several people mention that is was a known issue with Tkinter.
  I'm trying to decide what is the best replacement for the control.  I
was originally planning on redoing the GUI with wxpython, but I've seen
people indicate I would have the same problem.  I also was looking at
Fredrik Lundh's widget construction kit info.  That looks like it could
be useful, but it would still require building a new control and I'm not
sure if it would solve my base problem.  I'm still pretty inexperienced
with Python, so I'd like to concentrate on using a working text control
and writing the data processor part of my program rather than writing
and debugging a text control to use.  Does anyone have any
recommendations they could share?  Thanks very much.