So many things that need to be decided....

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue May 3 12:25:23 EDT 2005

"Heather Stovold" <h_stovold at hotmail.com> writes:

>> > I've decided on DrPython for the Editor....
>>
>> An editor for each language? Is that the kind of tower you get when
>> you start using IDEs? I just kept right on using the same text editor
>> I'd been using for the last 20 (now 30) years.
> I have programmed in the past with a plain text editor too did it for
> years. - but I much prefer programming with tools that have syntax coloring,
> code completion, and the ability to run from the editor. Debugging tools are
> a bonus too.

I've got syntax coloring. I'm not sure what you mean "run from the
editor". I can send functions/classes to an interpreter running in the
editor. I can run programs either via the editor command to run
programs, or from a shell running in the editor. I have no idea
whether or not the editor will do code completion. The only
autocompletion facilities I use while editing (as opposed to issuing
commands or looking for help) is looking up things in my email address
book.

>> > I still need to decide on a database........   I've really only used
> Access,
>> > and my SQL skills aren't that great.  It would also need to be free....
>> > Any suggestions??
>> Access is just a way of talking to a database. Which is what most
>> Python database tools are - ways to talk to a back-end database.  If
> MS Access is also a file-based relational-database program in Windows, which
> you can access the database files either through the program, or the
> database directly through other tools - including most MS programming
> languages.

IIRC - and I may not - access uses the "Jet" (name may be obsolete)
database engine for it's file-based relational database access.

>> That won't depend on the database. It will depend on what you want
>> your applications to do when it comes to generating reports - assuming
>> you generate any at all.
> Some reports are a definate requirement.

How will they be displayed? If you want to print them, it will depend
on the platform. If you want to display them in a window, it'll depend
on the GUI toolkit.

   <mike