Python Documentation (should be better?)

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Fri May 13 03:30:23 EDT 2005

Steven Bethard wrote:

> Ron Adam wrote:
>
>>What I would like to see is something like the following for each item:
>>
>>0. reference @ sequence code
>>2. "Builtin" | "import <library>"
>>3. Type/class: Name/Syntax
>>4. Description with examples
>>6. Links to other references of this item in docs
>>7. Links to related functions or objects in same doc type
>>8. Keywords
>

> I'm unclear from your description.  What constitutes an "item"?  Only
> functions?  Or are types and modules "items" too?

No, not only functions. Types, objects, methods, libraries, even
packages.  The sequence code is what defines the tree.  It still works
with other more abstract objects such as "Introduction", "Operators",
"Notes on ___".  Some fields wouldn't be used in those cases.

The type/syntax field for general documents items, might be
<instructional>, or <informational> or some other descriptive term.  The
"keywords" themselves could also be records with definitions of what
they are.  They would probably be under the 'Introduction/What is
python' section of the docs and list what things are strings for example.

> One of the original complaints was that the page for string methods
> wasn't easily accessible.  How does this address that problem?  I guess
> you could search for all records with Type: str.  Would the constructor
> for str show up this way?
>
> STeVe

Let's see:  ( The quick_ref for str could have something like. )

"""
Python Quick Ref: n.n.n.n
__Builtin__
<type 'type'> str(object) -> string

Return a nice string representation of the object.
If the argument is a string, the return value is the same object.

s = str(123.456)
s = str([1,2,3])

Also see str: |tutor|full_docs|tech_docs|
Related to: |builtin.types|float|bool|int|long|
"""

So from here you would click on the |full_docs| link and get a more
complete description with all of the str's methods listed. Clicking on
the string keyword link would give you an index of everything with the
string keyword in it, in the quick_ref, (the current), docs.

This format, is based on the C pocket reference I have, it is very
usable.  It could be printed in alphabetical order and you could find
things very easily.  An index could be printed by keyword.  That could
give you a by-subject method of finding things from the printed version.

Of course this wouldn't be something that could be put together over
night.  And it will more than likely make shortcomings more obvious at
first.  Holes where stuff should be, but that may be a good thing as
they can then be fixed.

_Ron