So many things that need to be decided....

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon May 2 21:30:55 EDT 2005

Heather Stovold wrote:
> Wow - deciding to program in python sure requires a lot of decisions!
>
> So far:
>
> I've decided on python for the programming language.
> I've decided on wxpython for the GUI....
> I've decided on DrPython for the Editor....
>
> I still need to decide on a database........   I've really only used Access,
> and my SQL skills aren't that great.  It would also need to be free....

> Any suggestions??

Yes, provide background on your actual requirements so we aren't just
pulling suggestions out of our asps (this being a Python-related but
family-oriented newsgroup, that seemed more appropriate than the
alternative).  What kind of app are you building, what kind of structure
will your database and app have, performance requirements, etc...

(You might have already mentioned something in your other posting, but I
didn't read/don't recall it and I'm sure many other potential
respondents are in the same boat.)

Also, a suggestion from the world of "agile development": stop making so
many decisions and start writing some actual code!  :-) That way you'll
gain confidence in the choices you have made, and will rapidly find
where you went wrong (as you'll inevitably decide you have about some
things), rather than waiting till you've chosen all the perfect
components and run out of time to get anything done.  (This advice from
the voice of experience, me having been where you are 20 years ago, and
15, and ten years ago, and five years ago...)

-Peter