Python Documentation (should be better?)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu May 12 14:11:47 EDT 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

> My idea for a manual's table of contents:
>
> 1.  Variables

python doesn't have variables.  the corresponding construct is
described in chapter 4 in the language reference.

> 2.  Conditional and Branching Constructs

chapter 6 and 7 in the language reference:

> 3.  Looping Constructs

chapter 7 in the language reference.

> 4.  Functions

chapter 5 for function calls (functions are just one of many
kinds of callable objects).

chapter 7 in the language reference for definitions.

> 5.  Modules

chapter 6 in the language reference for use.

chapter 8 in the language reference for definitions.

> 6.  Classes

chapter 5 in the language reference for use (classes are just
one of many kinds of callable objects, and instances are just
one of many kinds of objects with attributes).

chapter 7 in the language reference for definitions.

> 7.  Exceptions

chapter 4 in the language reference.

> 8.  Built-in
>    8.1  Functions

chapter 2.1 in the library reference (titled "Built-in Functions")

>    8.2  Types

chapter 2.3 in the library reference (titled "Built-in Types")

so everything you asked for can be the language reference manual
and the first two chapters of the library reference manual, in pretty
much the same order as you wanted it (the exceptions chapter is
the exception)

> (i.e. not in a manual, but the library reference).

if a reference manual is not a manual, we have a terminology problem.

</F>