Is Python suitable for a huge, enterprise size app?

john67 teamuhlig at gmail.com
Wed May 18 11:37:00 EDT 2005

The company I work for is about to embark on developing a commercial
application that will cost us tens-of-millions to develop.  When all is
said and done it will have thousands of  business objects/classes, some
of which will have hundreds-of-thousands of instances stored in a DB.
Our clients will probably have somewhere between 50-200 users working
on the app during the day, possibly in mutiple offices, and then a
large number of batch processes will have to run each night.  It will
also need to have a web interface for certain users.  It needs to be
robust, easy to maintain, and able to be customized for each client.

Right now it looks like Java is the language of choice that the app
will be developed in. However, I have been looking and reading a lot
about Python recently and it seems to me that Python could handle it.
The big attraction to me is the developer productivity.  It seems that
if Python can handle it, then we could gain a huge savings by using
Python instead of Java from a productivity standpoint alone.

So, given the very general requirements in the first paragraph, do you
think that Python could handle it?  If anyone has direct experience
developing large apps in Python, I would appreciate your insight.
Based on the responses I get, I am planning on writing a proposal to my
management to consider Python instead of Java.

Thanks,
John