[Newbie] How do I get better at Python programming?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 29 00:49:16 EST 2005

Anon wrote:
> I've gotten off to a good start for programming using Python (my first
> programming language).  I can do the basics (different kinds of loops,
> variables, functions), but I'm not too good with classes yet.  I've
> written some really small programs just for kicks (most involve
> statistics of different situations using random numbers).
>
> I'd like to get to the next level, but I'm not sure how.  Are there any
> suggestions for continuing to learn?  How did you guys learn?

Where programming's concerned it's never too soon to start reading other
people's code, and fortunately there's a huge amount of Python about and
available as open source.

I personally learned a lot by reading the Python library sources that
come with most present-day releases, and by lurking on comp.lang.python
and seeing what was discussed. Now I have less time I still lurk, but
there's always something going on.

Finally, don't be afraid to think about problems you don't yet know how
to solve. Stretch to grow.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 703 861 4237  +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC             http://www.holdenweb.com/