Python-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 208

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Mar 14 18:07:25 EST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:12:40 -0800, Jeff Shannon <jeffshannon at gmail.com> wrote:

>John Roth wrote:
>

>> "Charles Hartman" <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu> wrote in message
>> news:mailman.370.1110772426.1799.python-list at python.org...

>>> I *love* questions I can answer! Answer: because that's how you tell
>>> Python you're entering an octal number.
>>
>> That's a reason, but I don't consider it a good reason.
>> I cannot, in fact, think of a single time when I've wanted
>> to enter an octal number. Hex numbers, yes, but  not
>> octal.
>>
>> I personally don't think the frequency of use warrents
>> the special case syntax and the resultant confusion
>> with novices.
>
>I would agree with you, but it's there for historical reasons.  This
>is a pretty common convention that Python (I believe) borrowed from C.
>  Octal *used* to be useful, when there were machines with word sizes
>in multiples of 3 (e.g. 18- and 27-bit words), since one octal digit
>exactly represents 3 bits (just as one hex digit exactly represents 4
>bits); now that almost the entire industry has standardized on
>power-of-2 word sizes, octal is nearly useless but is still carried
>about for backwards compatibility.

Actually, octal was really handy for PDP-11/45 core dumps, even though
it had a power-of-2 (4 -> 16 bits) word size. The reason was that
the addressing modes for instructions were specified in 3-bit fields
which happened to line up nicely into single octal characters,
and the rest easily identified the instructions.

Reading-octal-was-just-reading-a-dialect-of-assembler-ly

Regards,
Bengt Richter