Python-list Digest, Vol 18, Issue 208

Jeff Shannon jeffshannon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:26:08 EST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Jeff Shannon wrote:
>
>> I'd be in favor of that, unless someone can come up with a compelling
>> current use-case for octal literals.
>
> Existing code. It may use octal numbers, and it would break if they
> suddenly changed to decimal.

Right, which was my original point -- it was only in the context of
Python 3.0 / 3K, when backwards compatibility is *already* being
deliberately discarded, that getting rid of octal constants would be
worth considering.

(I had specified *current* use-case to specifically indicate "other
than backwards-compatibility and historical reasons" -- I know those
are overriding until Py3K, but if the whole point of Py3K is to ditch
all the "features" that exist only for backwards-compatibility and
historical reasons, then...)

Jeff Shannon