survey of modules to be added to stdlib

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 18 17:26:31 EST 2005

Alia Khouri wrote:
> BTW is there an official set of conditions that have to be met before a
> module can be accepted into the stdlib?

Yes - although this has never been followed to date: In PEP 2,

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0002.html

a procedure is defined how new modules can be added. Essentially,
we need a document stating its intended purpose, and a commitment
by the authors to maintain the code.

This may rule out inclusion of some modules in your list, e.g.
if nobody steps forward to offer ongoing maintenance. Just that
users want to see the code in the library is not sufficient,
we also need somebody to do the actual work.

If none of the core developers respond favourably to requests
for inclusion, a library PEP can be seen as a last resort to
trigger a BDFL pronouncement. Depending on the module, I personally
would actively object inclusion if I have doubts whether the
module is going to be properly maintained; I will, of course,
obey to any BDFL pronouncement.

Furthermore, and more recently, we also started requiring that
code is *formally* contributed to the PSF, through the contrib
forms,

http://www.python.org/psf/contrib.html

This may rule out further modules: the authors of the code
have to agree to its inclusion in the library; somebody else
contributing the modules for the authors will not be acceptable.
However, the authors don't have to offer ongoing support for
the copy in Python - any other volunteer could step in instead.

Regards,
Martin