win32 shell extension (virtual drive)

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Mar 16 02:52:28 EST 2005

Tiziano Bettio <t.bettio at transnorm.ch> wrote:

>I'm looking for a simple solution of a win32 shell extension (virtual
>drive).
>
>It should make available a new drive with letter, which will be
>read-only. Instead of a network drive or similar it then should query a
>server application for directory/file listing.

Creating a new virtual folder with a shell extension is easy.  Creating a
new drive letter requires that you write a file system driver, something
that (A) must be written in C, (B) requires the expensive "installable file
system kit" from Microsoft, and (C) no human being really wants to do.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.