Database recommendations for Windows app

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Thu Jun 23 11:44:04 EDT 2005

"Magnus Lycka" <lycka at carmen.se> wrote in message
news:d9eg04$tr8$1 at wake.carmen.se...
> Thomas Bartkus wrote:
> > "Magnus Lycka" <lycka at carmen.se> wrote in message
> >   > The O.P. wanted a database for his
> >   > Python app, and Thomas Bartkus suggested Access.
> >
> > Not exactly!
>
> Sorty, I meant Jet or whatever the backend is called these days.

Hey! Even MS is confused these days.

> If we start with vanilla Python, we need just the tiny PySqlite module
> and DB-API compliant Python code to get a SQLite solution to work. One
> small 3rd party module which is trivial to bundle. There is no way you
> can access ADO with less 3rd party stuff bundled than that. The minimum
> is to bundle win32all or ctypes, but then you need to work much harder.
> You probably want a 3rd party python ADO library as well. Then it's
> much more stuff to bundle.

I was thinking of Win32com which I expect lets you put a wrapper around ADO
and work the ADO (or any other ActiveX) object model from within Python.

   However

I must confess that while I am quite familiar with ADO,  I haven't used it
with Python.

I do know that the ADO (or DAO) libraries are complete, SQL oriented,
database systems that are available on every WinXP desktop.  I *think* "Jet"
refers to the underlying, .mdb file based storage engine that ADO rides on
top of by default.  All WinXP platforms have this and do not need another db
platform - IOW we don't need to distribute a db platform here!

Unless one simply prefers something else ;-)
Thomas Bartkus