Database recommendations for Windows app

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Thu Jun 30 04:57:47 EDT 2005

Thomas Bartkus wrote:
> I was thinking of Win32com which I expect lets you put a wrapper around ADO
> and work the ADO (or any other ActiveX) object model from within Python.

Sure, but since others have made wrappers around ADO for Python before,
you'd either reivent the wheel or or use e.g.
http://www.ecp.cc/pyado.html or http://adodbapi.sourceforge.net/
and get another dependency besides the Win 32 libs.

Your milage may vary, but I prefer to use the DB-API compliant
interfaces. If mxODBC is ok from a licence point of view, I'm sure
it's an excellent product, but if you use it for .mdb I suspect you
need to deal with Jet oddities like quoting dates with # and
non-standard wildcard symbols. (* and ? instead of % and _). That
was the case last time I tried. :(

Maybe modern Jet versions have done away with those absurdities, but
then I guess you are in trouble if you install the program on a machine
with somwhat older Windows software.

If the limited SQL support in SQLite is enough, I think it's a very
simple and straight forward tool to use in Windows from Python.
Try it!