Fast text display?

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Wed Jun 8 20:36:13 EDT 2005

On 08 Jun 2005 17:26:30 -0700, Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Riccardo Galli <riccardo_cut1 at cut2_sideralis.net> writes:
>> Using tkinter doesn't need downloading and installing only in Windows.
>> In *nix is not so common to have tcl/tk installed (and probably in Mac too)
>
>Hmm, in the Linux distros that I'm used to, tcl/tk is preinstalled.  I
>had the impression that it was included with Python but obviously I
>haven't looked that closely.

What does "included with Python" mean anyway?  Different packagers make different decisions.  Some may include Tcl/Tk, others may exclude it.  Some may provide a separate but trivially-installable package for it.  On systems with reasonable package managers, it barely makes a difference, as any packaged software is at most one or two simple commands away.

This applies to other libraries as well, of course.  Installing wxPython on Debian is a 5 second ordeal.  This is not to say debian is awesome and you should go install it right now or *else*, just to say that the installation of a single piece of software can vary greatly in difficulty between different platforms.

Jp