What is different with Python ?

Andrea Griffini agriff at tin.it
Fri Jun 17 17:37:28 EDT 2005

On 17 Jun 2005 05:30:25 -0700, "Michele Simionato"
<michele.simionato at gmail.com> wrote:

>I fail to see the relationship between your reply and my original
>message.
>I was complaining about the illusion that in the old time people were
>more
>interested in programming than now. Instead your reply is about low
>level
>languages being more suitable for beginners than high level languages.
>I don't see the connection.

I've been told in the past that one reason for which is
good to start from high-level languages is that you
can do more with less. In other words I've been told
that showing a nice image and may be some music is
more interesting than just making a led blinking.
But if this is not the case (because just 1% is
interested in those things no matter what) then
why starting from high level first then ?

I would say (indeed I would *hope*) that 1% is a low
estimate, but probably I'm wrong as others with more
experience than me in teaching agree with you.
Having more experience than me in teaching programming
is a very easy shot... I never taught anyone excluding
myself. About the 1%, I've two brothers, and one of
them got hooked to programming before me... the other
never got interested in computers and now he's just a
basic (no macros) ms office user.

So in my case it was about 66%, and all started with
a programmable pocket RPN calculator ... but there were
no teachers involved; may be this is a big difference.

Andrea