Dealing with marketing types...

Drazen Gemic here at there.net
Sat Jun 11 11:12:46 EDT 2005

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:41:13 -0500, phil wrote:

>> What experiences have those in the Python community had in these kinds
>> of situations?
>>
> Ive had lots of experience updating my resume and
>
> developing software at home.  In Python.
>
> Java is a clumsy kludge.  And the java environment has gone to hell.

I am a freelance developer and I prefer to do job in Java over anything
else. I love Python, and it is my favourite language, but there are some
problems.

With Java I depend very little on customers IT staff, sysadmins, etc. If
I need additional functionality in form library, extension, whatever, all
I need is to drop another JAR in, and that does it.

With Python, the situation is different. Often, some kind of modules are
required to be compiled, or packages installed. Generaly, I do not have sufficient
privileges on customers system to do that. IT personell might be willing
and capable to do that, and might be not. There could be some
inter-department politics and/or friction involved at customers side
which may turn into serious obstacle.

Thnks, but I stick with Java. And considering Jython in the future.

DG