What is different with Python ? (OT I guess)

david.tolpin at gmail.com david.tolpin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:46:01 EDT 2005

> > Oh well, I guess it's a bit late to try to rename the Computer
> > Science discipline now.
> The best I've heard is "Informatics" -- I have a vague impression
> that this is a more European name for the field.

The word "Informatics" had been invented by a Soviet computer scientist
Andrey Ershov several decades ago  as a name for his view on
Information Theory. In Russian, it is Информатика,
Informatika, by analogy with Mathematics, Математика. It is
widely used ever since both in russian-language literature and in many
other languages and countries.

It is a better name than either Information Theory or Computer Science
for the discipline.