List of all installed applications (XP)?

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Thu Jun 23 07:51:59 EDT 2005

[Guy Lateur]

| | [TJG]
| | What -- from your point of view -- is an "application"?
|
| Good question. Let me try to elaborate: I would like to know
| if people in
| our company (building techniques) are using non-licensed software (eg
| Photoshop, Office, AutoCad). So I guess by 'application' I
| mean commercial software packages like those.

Hmmm. While I understand your requirement, it's not as
thought there's some easily-discernible charactersistics
of "commercial software packages which should have licenses
but which don't" unless you're prepared to compile a list
and to add to it over time.

| Is it safe to assume those apps get listed in AppPath?

I wouldn't have said so: AppPaths is basically useful if
you want to be able to go Start > Run > blah.exe without
having to hunt through "Program Files" etc. Since many
apps simply set up a Start Menu shortcut, there's no
need for this.

| Just out of curiosity: can one read the info/list one gets in
| Add/Remove
| Programs? It's not a problem I get results that aren't
| actually apps, but it
| is important I get all apps.

I honestly don't know: I imagine Googling around will
give some hits (for the question in general and for
Add/Remove in particular): it can hardly be an unheard
of issue. If someone's solved it in one way, it's
almost certainly possible to translate that to Python
(or to use their tool, if it's accessible).
I have an idea it's held in the registry, but I'm not sure.
You could try running up regedit and searching for likely
strings.

By the sound of it, you're almost better off compiling
a list of .exe from machines and building up a blacklist
from those.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk