building 2.4.1 on HPUX

Richard Patterson richard.a.patterson at lmco.com
Tue Jun 28 18:27:37 EDT 2005

I'm trying to compile python 2.4.1, on HPUX10.20, with support for tk and
tcl 8.4 (installed in /opt/tk and /opt/tcl).  I assume this means I need to
compile the tkinter module too..

I was getting make errors, saying it couldn't find tcl/tk libs or headers...
so I changed the setup.py script, hard coding library and include paths for
tcl/tk, but it still didn't build the _tkinter module.  So next I modified
the Modules/Setup file, uncommenting, and changing compiler arguments to
point to the correct lib and include paths.  At least it built this time...
so I ran make test, and got the following error for test_tcl:

TclError: Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories:
    /opt/tcl8.4.4/lib/tk8.4 <etc ....  the rest of the dirs listed are in my
home directory>

On my system, /opt/tk is a link to /opt/tk8.4.4, therefore, the tk.tcl file
is really in /opt/tk/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl, but why didn't it look there?

I'm stumped.  Did I really have to hack the setup.py and Setup files?  Where
is it getting its paths from?  Is my environment wrong, or do I need to
change some configure parameters?  I'm hoping someone out there knows what
I'm doing wrong, or perhaps can point me in the right direction.  Thanks
again

Rich