building 2.4.1 on HPUX

Richard Patterson richard.a.patterson at lmco.com
Thu Jun 30 17:31:37 EDT 2005

In case someone else reads these for information about a simliar problem....

It turns out, that I did not need to edit the setup.py script, I could just
ignore the compile time INFO statements regarding Tk/Tcl libs and includes..
I did need to modify the Modules/Setup file however...

But the final run-time trick was to define two environment variables...
TK_LIBRARY=/opt/tk/lib/tk8.4, and TCL_LIBRARY=/opt/tcl/lib/tcl8.4

Now "make test", "./python Lib/test/test_tcl.py", and all my python 1.6
scripts seem to work.

I don't know if this is the best solution, but it seems to work.

"Richard Patterson" <richard.a.patterson at lmco.com> wrote in message
news:d9sisp$mfq$1 at knight.vf.lmco.com...
> I'm trying to compile python 2.4.1, on HPUX10.20, with support for tk and
> tcl 8.4 (installed in /opt/tk and /opt/tcl).  I assume this means I need
> compile the tkinter module too..
>
> I was getting make errors, saying it couldn't find tcl/tk libs or
headers...
> so I changed the setup.py script, hard coding library and include paths
for
> tcl/tk, but it still didn't build the _tkinter module.  So next I modified
> the Modules/Setup file, uncommenting, and changing compiler arguments to
> point to the correct lib and include paths.  At least it built this
time...
> so I ran make test, and got the following error for test_tcl:
>
> TclError: Can't find a usable tk.tcl in the following directories:
>     /opt/tcl8.4.4/lib/tk8.4 <etc ....  the rest of the dirs listed are in
my
> home directory>
>
> On my system, /opt/tk is a link to /opt/tk8.4.4, therefore, the tk.tcl
file
> is really in /opt/tk/lib/tk8.4/tk.tcl, but why didn't it look there?
>
> I'm stumped.  Did I really have to hack the setup.py and Setup files?
Where