OT: Re: Looking For Geodetic Python Software

Paul Rubin http
Thu Jun 23 16:57:17 EDT 2005

Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com> writes:
> Huh?   When traversing along the surface of the earth, it's curvature
> is relevant in computing total distance.  An airplane flies more-or-less
> in a straight line above that curvature.  For sufficiently long airplane
> routes (where the ascent/descent distance is trivial compared to the
> overall horizontal distance traversed), a straight line path shorter
> than the over-earth path is possible.   That's why I specified the
> desire to compute both path lengths.  Where's the humor?

It's just not clear what you meant:

  A) The shortest path between two points on a curved surface is
     called a geodesic and is the most meaningful definition of
     "straight line" on a curved surface.  The geodesic on a sphere is
     sometimes called a "great circle".

  B) By a straight line you could also mean the straight line through
     the 3-dimensional Earth connecting the two points on the surface.
     So the straight line from the US to China would go through the
     center of the earth.

  C) Some people seem to think "straight line" means the path you'd
     follow if you took a paper map, drew a straight line on it with a
     ruler, and followed that path.  But that path itself would depend
     on the map projection and is generally not a geodesic, and neither
     is it straight when you follow it in 3-space.