OT: Re: Looking For Geodetic Python Software

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu Jun 23 14:06:51 EDT 2005

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
>> Casey Hawthorne wrote:
>>

>>> Do your planes fly over the earth's surface or through the ground?
>>

>> Why do you presume this has anything to do with airplanes?
>>

> That was supposed to be a funny remark regarding that  your
> "straight-line-distance" makes no sense at all - because that would mean
> that you'd have to go underground. So it has no real-world-application -
> unless you actually have underground-planes ;)
>
> Diez

Huh?   When traversing along the surface of the earth, it's curvature
is relevant in computing total distance.  An airplane flies more-or-less
in a straight line above that curvature.  For sufficiently long airplane
routes (where the ascent/descent distance is trivial compared to the
overall horizontal distance traversed), a straight line path shorter
than the over-earth path is possible.   That's why I specified the
desire to compute both path lengths.  Where's the humor?

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com