What is different with Python ?

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au
Wed Jun 15 01:13:33 EDT 2005

Roy Smith wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVEMEcyber.com.au> wrote:
>
> >High and low tides aren't caused by the moon.
>

> They're not???

Nope. They are mostly caused by the continents. If the
Earth was completely covered by ocean, the difference
between high and low tide would be about 10-14 inches.
  (Over deep ocean, far from shore, the difference is
typically less than 18 inches.)

The enormous difference between high and low tide
measured near the shore (up to 45 feet in the Bay of
Fundy in Canada, almost forty times larger) is caused
by the interaction of the continents with the ocean. In
effect, the water piles up against the shore, like in a
giant bathtub when you slosh the water around.

The true situation is that tides are caused by the
interaction of the gravitational fields of the sun, the
moon and the Earth, the rotation of the Earth, the
physical properties of water, its salinity, the depth,
shape and composition of the coast and shoreline, the
prevailing ocean currents, vibrationary modes of the
ocean (including up to 300 minor harmonics), ocean
storms, and even the wind. You can understand why we
usually simplify it to "the moon causes the tides",
even though the moon isn't even the largest
contributing factor.

See, for example:

http://home.hiwaay.net/~krcool/Astro/moon/moontides/

--