mac address

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Thu Jun 2 19:24:24 EDT 2005

shama.bell at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a newbie and i have problems filling an array with the mac address
> read from the command line.
>
> The mac address is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
>
> options, args = parser.parse_args()
> # options.d contains the address
> destAddress = options.d
>
> data = array('L', '\0' * 24)
> The array should contain the data as follows:
> data[0] = 0xFF
> data[1] = 0xFF
> data[5] = 0xFF
> Any help is appreciated
> -SB

You will be better off in the long run if you try to solve these minor
questions yourself.

Break the problem down:

First step: *split* the destAddress into 6 strings
Second step: convert the strings to *long* integer, remembering to use
base 16 arithmetic
Third step: use the resulting 6-element list when creating "data".

Why do you think you need array.array('L', ....)? What are you going to
do with "data" after filling it with the address?