something like CPAN, PPMs?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu Jun 2 19:57:33 EDT 2005

deelan wrote:
> Maurice LING wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I am actually working on something like that as an academic project.
>> At this stage, at least for the purpose of my scope, it will not be as
>> extensive as CPAN but a set of mechanisms for the same effect for Python.
>

> don't foget to keep an eye on python's eggs:
>
> <http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PythonEggs>
>
> and related blog posts:
>
> <http://dirtsimple.org/2005/05/eggs-get-closer-to-hatching.html>
> <http://dirtsimple.org/2005/05/dirt-simple-download-and-install-cpan.html>
> <http://dirtsimple.org/2005/05/easyinstall-new-era-in-python-package.html>
>
> HTH.

Thanks,

I think PythonEggs will have increasing effect in the future as Python
is moving more towards enterprise development, as what we hope to see.
Although it is stated in their website that using PythonEggs does not
automatically confer platform-independence, it might still be a good way
for enterprises, especially on the reverse engineering issue.

My approach now is to work out a prototype system that is made as a 3rd
party installation process for my software. My software requires tools
like PLY, SciPy etc etc. My idea is that by doing "python setup.py
install" to install my stuffs, a function in setup.py calls a system (in
my software, call it centipyde) and installs the pre-requisites as
required. "Centipyde" can then be developed into a better management tool.

As I've posted in many mailing lists, I've intended this to be an
academic project (any other contradictory decisions made will be
announced). However, I do welcome opinions.

Cheers
Maurice