Database recommendations for Windows app

Magnus Lycka lycka at carmen.se
Wed Jun 22 11:34:57 EDT 2005

Thomas Bartkus wrote:
> If you are writing strictly for the MS Windows platform
>    And
> If the database is running single user with a "locally stored database" on a
> Windows workstation.
>    Then
> The MS Access file based (.mdb) system is hard to argue with.

I disagree. What does .mdb/jet without Access offer you that you
don't get from e.g. SQLite except vendor lock-in and horrible
deviations from the SQL standard? Ok, it does give you somewhat
stronger typing, which you might possibly want, but if that's
an issue, I'd suggest embedded firebird (if we want serverless).

I'm not entirely sure something SQLish is the way to go though.

Also, the best ODBC adaper for Python, mxODBC, isn't free. Last
time I used adodbapi, it was a bit buggy, and pure ADO or DAO
solutions don't follow the Python standard DB-API 2.