When someone from Britain speaks, Americans hear a "British accent"...

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 08:54:18 EDT 2005

[A.M. Kuchling]
| I think that backwoods American speech is more archaic, and
| therefore is possibly closer to historical European speech.
| Susan Cooper uses this as a minor plot point in her juvenile
| novel "King of Shadows", which is about a 20th-century
| Southern kid who goes back to Elizabethan times and ends up
| acting with Shakespeare; his accent ensures that he doesn't
| sound *too* strange in 16th-century London.

Aha! Bit of North American parochialism there. The fact
that he's a "Southern kid" doesn't say "from the southern
states of North America" to everyone. All right, in fact
it's clear from the context, but I just fancied having a
jab.

In fact, I rather like the fact that he can truthfully
claim to come from Falmouth, which his hearers (including
Queen Elizabeth!) understand to mean the town in the West
Country [of England] whereas in fact he means the town
in Carolina (apparently).

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk