Tiff Image Reader/writer

James Carroll mrmaple at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 09:45:31 EDT 2005

Hmm... that's unfortunate.

What platform are you on?  If Windows, then I believe that PIL is
statically linked against LibTIFF and that particular libtiff wasn't
compiled with certain options (CCITT formats or something.)  (in 1999
that was true, I found a post from Fred here:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/1999-June/000755.html)

If it's a one-time thing, there are ways of converting the TIFF to a
different encoding.  I use the libtiff tifftools  command tiffcp:

tiffcp -c none  infile.tif out file.tif

which will decode into a non-compressed tiff.

Otherwise, you might be out of luck (or have to change some of the
libtiff options.)

If you put your tiff file somewhere where I can download it, I'll try
reading it with the alternatives that I have on my system and let you
know what works...

-Jim