Tiff Image Reader/writer

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Jun 14 15:34:41 EDT 2005

"PyPK" <superprad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I get a decoder error when i do a get pixel on the Image

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "Image.py", line 858, in getpixel
>     self.load()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line
> 180, in load
>     d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
>   File "Image.py", line 328, in _getdecoder
>     raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
> IOError: decoder group4 not available

PIL doesn't support CCITT encodings out of the box.  the following
patch might help:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2003-July/002354.html

(unfortunately, this currently depends on libtiff internals, which is
why it wasn't added to 1.1.5)

an alternative solution is to pipe your files through tiffcp (see James
mail for details).

</F>