anygui,anydb, any opinions?

Thomas Bartkus tom at dtsam.com
Wed Jun 1 17:25:00 EDT 2005

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
news:7xzmu94wrf.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> "Thomas Bartkus" <tom at dtsam.com> writes:
> > > Given that for the most part nobody in the Python community has a
> > > handle on any other Python person's paycheck, it's unlikely that
> > > enough of the community can be convinced that a VB-like
> > > development environment would be a "killer app" for Python and
> > > thus motivated to go produce one.
> >
> > Judging by the message traffic alluded to by the original poster, I'm
hardly
> > the only one with this particular itch. AND there is clearly a
substantial
> > development effort in this direction. Apparently, a few in the community
are
> > convinced of the worth.
>
> Are we talking about a drag-and-drop GUI builder?
I am!

> What about Glade?
Dying to try that.  Ask me again in a week.

> Or do you mean a fancy IDE?
That too!

> There's a Python plug-in for Eclipse, but I haven't tried it yet.
Fact is, there are all kinds of interesting things in the air.

I happen to be one - and I *know* I'm not alone - who thinks that building
user interfaces is way too difficult and way too important.  It is
particularly frustrating in that we do seem to be moving backwards in this
department.

Am I the only one who notices that we are in the dark ages when it comes to
producing (new) software that people can use.  Was MS Office 2000 the be all
and end all of software development.  Why has it all come to a halt?  My
explanation is a:
      Microsoft entering senility
      a programming community unable to recognize a developing vacuum
      The great html plague
And -

Lack of interest  in GUI/IDE programming environments.
Thomas Bartkus