(OT) lincense protection generator

flupke flupke at nonexistingdomain.com
Thu Jun 2 18:33:57 EDT 2005

Jarek Zgoda wrote:
> flupke napisał(a):
>
>> I'm thinking of a function that will generate such a code and put it
>> in a file. Then when the program starts it checks this file and checks
>> the code in there with a code that it generates at that time again
>> based for instance on the current directory and other components
>> unique to that computer. It could be a long string (but what info?)
>> and then take a hash from it and store the hash value.
>

> Better, generate sha1 sum of general machine configuration (i.e. what
> "set" command returns) and store it on random internet node. You can be
> sure nobody would get it.
>
> Anyway, it's bad idea. Restrict program usage in license) or any other
> contract), but don't do such a mess to people who pay your bills.

Well as i said it's more to see when they tampered with the config or
the program. It's not a commercial application but it's for inhouse use
in the hospital where i work. These people are, to put it mildly, not
the most computer savant people around.
It could be handy to avoid me searching for a solution to a problem that
arises because of messing with the setup rather than a bug in the code.

Thanks,
Benedict