COM problem .py versus .exe

Tim Golden tim.golden at viacom-outdoor.co.uk
Mon Jun 27 08:20:07 EDT 2005

[Greg Miller]
| I have a .DLL that I am extracting the file version from using wmi.py.
| The specific code is:
|
| c = wmi.WMI()
|         for f in
| c.CIM_DataFile(Name="c:\\glossersdmsservices\\bin\\glosscmanag
| er.dll"):
|             sdmsver = f.Version
|
| this works fine when running the application as a python file, when I
| build the application into an executable, using py2exe, I get the
| following error:
|
| Traceback (most recent call last):
|   File "autoStart.pyc", line 241, in test
|   File "wmi.pyc", line 138, in ?
|   File "win32com\client\gencache.pyc", line 540, in EnsureDispatch
|   File "win32com\client\CLSIDToClass.pyc", line 50, in GetClass
| KeyError: '{D2F68443-85DC-427E-91D8-366554CC754C}'

You could try using the tweaked version 0.6b from:

http://timgolden.me.uk/python/downloads/wmi-0.6b.py

which doesn't use the EnsureDispatch and so doesn't
(I think) need the type library. If you do decide to
try, let me know if it works; it was designed for
someone else's py2exe-wmi issue, but I never heard
back as to whether he'd tried it.

TJG

http://www.star.net.uk