file permissions on windows XP (home)

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at pauahtun.org
Wed Jun 8 23:06:08 EDT 2005

Hi All--

gratzel at gmail.com wrote:

> I have noticed a bug that if I have a folder open for viewing in
> Windows Explorer with Thumbnail view enabled that I often run into
> inexplicable problems with modify permissions, say when I want to
> rename or delete an item.  Changing the view to Detailed or rebooting
> seems to make the issue go away.

Makes sense.  With the thumbnail view enabled, Windows has to monitor
every file in the directory for changes, and update the thumbs all the
time.  With other types it watches for changes, but it doesn't have to
be so obsessive about it.  Now that I think about it, the times that
I've had permission trouble it's always been with thumbs.

Not definitive, but worth looking out for.

Metta,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
God N Locomotive Works
http://www.andi-holmes.com/
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours