Want to learn a language - is Python right?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Mon Jun 20 20:23:27 EDT 2005

Python will help you as a novice for these reasons:

1. Help you to learn programming concepts and develop good habits.
2. Powerful Standard Library to help you do more advanced things.
3. Smooth, shallow learning curve, e.g. hello world is:

         print "Hello World"

   So you can do simple things in python with minimal learning.

4. Excellent, friendly, patient, helpful user base.
5. Code is inherently more maintainable than other languages.
6. comp.lang.python

In short, you have come to the right place. I have used many programming
languages (C, Java, Fortran, Python, Perl, just to name the more famous ones)
and python takes the cake as a general purpose programming language.

By the way, ignore any posts talking about speed of execution. This is
generally a non-issue for new programmers. If you want your code to run
faster, buy a faster computer.

James

--
James Stroud