No subject

Tue Jun 28 15:15:02 EDT 2005

#! rnews 2994
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
From: Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Boss wants me to program
Sender: hgg9140 at cola2.ca.boeing.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:58:08 GMT

phil <phillip.watts at anvilcom.com> writes:

> > You are quite correct to point out how much better it is to know what is
> > going on behind the scenes.  But heck, once you know how to extract square
> > roots - you need to let the computer do it!
> > GUI interfaces should be the same deal!
> > Thomas Bartkus
> >
> I think I pretty much agree. I essentially code my own gui builder
>
> but in text files.
>
> I just think it is really important to emphasise the operative
> "but once you know how" in your comments.
>
> Then some would counter with "oh, so we should code everthing
> in assembler?"  Ouch. No, I will admit there is judgement
> required.  Everything should be done the easiest way, with the
> qualification that you need to understand how using someone
> else's shortcut leaves you vulnerable.

I agree with your comments on Python and java and IDEs.  I'd like to
expand on the "code in assy" complaint.

Compiled-to-assy-to-machine-to-execution is understood and
algorithmic.  Any one person may no know it al,l but every step of the
way has been thought out and optimized by someone who knew what he/she
was doing.  There are very few places where anyone has to dive down
into assy, much less microcode or VLSI layouts.

Therefore, we can trust the abstract model provided by the programming
language, and can stay in that model.

This is not the case for GUIs.  We can't safely stay in the abstract
GUI IDE.  In fact, most require you to dive into the generated code to
finish the task.  Bouncing up and down the abstraction ladder is hard
and made harder by being forced to live in the IDE's idea of generated
code.

Given that, GUI IDEs are still helpful if your base langauge is a pain
to write and debug (e.g., C++, Java).  But if your language is
actually easier to use than the GUI IDEs, then the equation shifts.
With Python, the clarity of thought and the opportunities for
higher-level programming (dynamic code genration et al) make GUI IDEs
just a waste of time or worse.

I also have moved to text-based inputs to my own GUI builders.  Maybe
there is a sourceforge project waiting to be borne here :-)

[snip]

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 294-4718