No subject

Fri Jun 10 09:35:02 EDT 2005

#! rnews 2612
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
From: Harry George <harry.g.george at boeing.com>
Subject: Re: Generating HTML from python
Sender: hgg9140 at cola2.ca.boeing.com
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:16:36 GMT

"Philippe C. Martin" <philippe at philippecmartin.com> writes:

> PS: I am looking at the formatter module which seems to be related to HTML
> somehow, but without any code sample I'm a bit lost

As others have noted, if you need any computation at all, it is easier
to write directly in python.

I came to python from perl, where I used CGI.pm.  To get that effect,
I wrote my own CGIpm.py and used it for a while.
http://www.seanet.com/~hgg9140/comp/index.html

But (at the suggestion of others in this newsgroup), I then tried
writing directly.  The net effect is trivial html generation, with all
the power of python at your fingertips.

Note:
To save even more time, I made a CGI template that includes this main:

#============================
if __name__=="__main__":
    mystart()
    #cgi.print_environ_usage()
    #cgi.print_environ()
    form = cgi.FieldStorage()
    try:
        if len(form)==0:
            send_form1()
        else:
            form_name=form['form_name'].value
            if form_name=='form1':
                recv_form1()
    except StandardError, e:
        print "\n<BR>ERROR: %s\n" % e
    myend()

To support a stateless world:

1. Each form has a send_xyz and recv_xyz function.  The end of each
recv_xyz decides what send_xyz to do next.

2. mystart and myend handle opening and closing the http and html.
They also handle state save/restore as needed (pickle or database).

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M21 BCA CompArch Design Engineering
Phone: (425) 294-4718