Fast text display?

Christopher Subich spam.csubich+block at block.subich.spam.com
Wed Jun 8 20:57:50 EDT 2005

Paul Rubin wrote:

 > We're just talking about a scrolling text window that has to run at
 > human reading and typing speeds, right?  It shouldn't be a problem.
 > I've used the text widget and found it to be fast enough for what I
 > was doing, though I didn't exactly stress it.

It should have burst speeds of 2-10x reading speed; given the
stop-and-start nature of most muds, the data comes in bursts that the
player processes and reacts to before the next burst.

It's good to know that my concerns seem mostly unfounded.  When I get to
a reasonable state of implementation, I'll post here if I've made any
unexpected discoveries.

--
PS: Really sorry to everyone about all the e-mails I've generated.  I'm
not quite used to Thunderbird, and it puts "reply to sender only" where